Friday, December 29, 2006

NFL football season-end grab-bag 2006

Ah, Friday. Another long weekend upon us. Yesterday, I again ran at altitude, but this time, it was colder, and I ran through several inches of snow. Proving once again that running at altitude sucks.

I got into a store today that had a whole wall of "tobacco" products. Pipes, bongs, grinders, cases, etc. For those out there who do smoke the wacky tabacky, it's wonderful that these places exist for you. My only vice is alcohol. I've been known to enjoy my share of beer. I leave hard alcohol, wine, and shots alone for the most part, and don't engage in smoking of any kind. Or any hard drugs. But that's just background.

Anyway, I was in the store, and I just had to laugh at the disclaimers they're forced to use to be able to sell these items. One sign makes it known that the items are for "tobacco use only", and that using or discussing other uses is prohibited. Several other signs point out that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to purchase items that are used for the purpose of smoking tobacco products. I know what these things are used for, they know what they're used for, and government, including law enforcement, knows what they're used for. To play the game seems a litte silly to me.

In other news, I get to watch the NFLN game tomorrow night, to make my second NFLN game. I'm happy I get to watch pro football, but I'm not really wearing a huge happy hat to get to listen to Bryant Gumbel do another game. Well, that, and, even though the Giants are in a win-and-you're-in kind of playoff scenario, they just haven't been playing very well at all, and the prospect of playing against Washington just doesn't have my needle very high for this one. On the flip side, the game has playoff implications for the Packers, and I'll be in a Packer bar to watch it, so it should be mighty interesting. The bar has several things that are fairly unique to Wisconsin, such as Old Style and Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap, and breaded, fried cheese curds on the menu. If you've never had cheese curds, or don't even know what they are, let me suggest trying them. It's very apparent to me that people in Wisconsin know their cheese.

I got to watch part of "Cars", the movie. It seems pretty entertaining, at least the parts I've seen. It's wonderful that the movie studios can produce a movie that kids love, and parents don't hate. Some of the jokes are over childrens' heads, but they don't care. And for the parents who have to watch these movies with their kids (sometimes over and over and over and over again), it's refreshing to have some real humor to laugh at instead of just "cutesie" kids movies or "learning" videos.

Me, for New Year's Eve, I get to drive "home" from the football game I'm going to attend, and then watch the last football game of the regular season (Packers at Bears, which MAY have win-and-in playoff implications for the Packers, and we'll know for sure prior to kickoff), and maybe some light drinking of beers. Or drinking of light beers. I have to get on a plane early the next morning to get back to my home state to drink heavily, so I can't go too hogwild.

Football fantasies to all y'all.

No comments: