Thursday, January 18, 2007

The wonders of a modern vehicle

I'm about as disgusted as disgusted gets right now at the service I'm receiving from the company in the last post. I can't believe companies can run like that and still be in business.

Anyway, on my drive to/from work the last couple days, I realized that I will never again be able to manage driving a vehicle long-term without steering wheel radio controls. Cruise control I never use, but I'd die without my steering wheel radio controls. And I've almost gotten used to them already. I only have 48K on my vehicle, and I rarely hit a wrong button anymore. It seems like kind of a strange thing to be dependent on in a vehicle, but I'd seriously be lost without my steering wheel radio controls.

Which leads me to another aspect of my vehicle that's become not a "nice-to-have", but a "requirement" -- automatic lights. I can count on one hand how many times I've touched the light switch on my current vehicle (48K miles), and the times I have were likely just playing around or testing them against a tailgate when I'm bored or something. I have terrible short-term memory, so remembering to turn them on or off always tended to be a problem, and I hate when vehicles beep uncontrollably about certain things, so by not ever turning my lights on, I never have to remember to turn them off, and this prevents my vehicle from having to yell at me.

One last thing that's nice about current vehicles is remote keyless entry. If used right, you'll never ever lock your keys in the car again. The way I use it is that I never, ever manually lock the doors -- I always lock them from the outside after the doors are shut. This means that my keys cannot get inside the vehicle after the point of locking the doors. Every once in awhile, when I go for a run, I only take the vehicle key and not the remote, so I'm forced to either lock the doors before shutting them, or else lock them via key from the outside. I don't waste the effort with the key, but I usually do check at least twice to ensure I have the key, once before I "lock", and once before I "close". It's more of a hassle than the remote, I can tell ya that.

Anyway, I shouldn't really be posting this, since it really has no entertainment value, but it's been something on my mind lately, and it beats writing about crappy customer service. My mind isn't in creative mode, and my life isn't in exciting mode. I had fun with my bowling team last night, but I didn't even bowl. We went to a different place and had some drinks afterwards, and, despite having my arse parked on a barstool next to a beautiful woman who was buying me drinks, I made myself leave before any of my cohorts. It made for a much more enjoyable day today than it would have been (unless perhaps I'd have woken up next to her and called in sick with the beer flu). I've found it's much more pleasant to sleep off a hangover than work through one. Why I continue to collect data points on the matter, I'm not sure.

GoHome

No comments: