"Mark it down". I was just told to "mark it down". A random date in February. I never "mark it down". It's been many years since I kept any kind of a calendar. That went out of style for me about the time dates and times became less important for me. In the way-way back, I had to make sure I showed up on time for alot of different things. And it was at that point that I began to use a day planner. And I'd write down things in said day planner. Then, as my obligation to these different activities ceased, so did the use of a day planner for me.
Since then, "write it down" basically has the same meaning as "forget it in twenty seconds" to me. If it's important, I'll be reminded of whatever event it is later. I learned something in the way-way back. Most things just aren't important enough to worry about. Sure, I try my hardest to remember to send a card for my Mom's birthday, and to show up for a dentist appointment, and to meet people at the bar for trivia, but that's as far as it goes. Living and dying by the clock just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I show up some mornings half an hour early for work, and I show up some mornings half an hour late for work. I'm hourly, so I don't really care, and neither do the people I work for.
That said, I'd like to note that I still like to get where I have to go when I have somewhere to go. The asshat that was driving ten mph under the speed limit in front of me last night gets awarded no points. Seriously, 35 mph is slow enough in a 25 mph speed zone. 25 mph in a 35 mph zone is just excruciating. And these were winding, two-lane roads, with hills/cliffs and trees on either side, so no chance to pass.
I try to keep myself out of "wolfpacks" while driving as much as anyone, so this is an extra bad situation, since not only am I frustrated to have a 40-minute drive home from work at 10 mph OVER the speed limit and I'm now forced to go 10 mph UNDER the speed limit, but at 10 mph under the speed limit with no chance to pass, cars pile up quickly behind the slow guy, even on sparsely-populated roadways, leading to said wolfpack. So, here I was in a situation where there's bound to be a bunch of cars piling up behind me, and likely including drivers who are more upset/frustrated/in-a-hurry than I am. Luckily, I only had to follow the bonehead for about five minutes before there was the world's shortest passing zone and no oncoming traffic (at least one passing zone -- another very short one -- had gone by where oncoming traffic was way too thick to pass), so I was able to power past the slow car. And surprisingly, there was no one piled up behind me in that time, so I didn't have to watch for other drivers trying to double-pass.
Anyhoo, that was a quick path to the end of this post. It's plenty long, and I'm plenty tired, currently battling a food coma to try to stay awake. Guess that makes the end of my post.
Drive safe, y'all.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment